Hotmail is a part of the modern and web based email service that Microsoft provides through the Outlook domain. If you wish to create a Hotmail email account, here are the steps that you need to follow.
Steps to create an account
The signing up process for a Hotmail account is integrated into the Outlook domain. Here are the steps that you need to follow:
- Hotmail.com domain address or outlook.com will lead you to the same login page where you can sign in for any Microsoft account.
- There is a link found below the login panel for creating a new account.
- When you click on this link you are redirected to the page for account creation.
- The account opening form seeks basic details from you.
- The first fields will ask you to choose a username. At the time of making a choice of a username you will be guided as per the username you type in which would be matched against the existing username database. Only when it is unique you would be asked to proceed.
- The next field is to select a password for your account. At the time of choosing a password you need to ensure that you choose a strong password that is at least eight characters in length and comprises of special characters, use of capital and lower case and numerals as well.
- Once you have chosen a unique password that agrees to these conditions, your account password would be approved and you can proceed to the next fields.
- The next fields require you to fill in your first name, last name as well as gender details. Other basic information is country of origin and then you proceed to fill in additional details pertaining to account security.
- In the fields where additional information is sought to ensure account security, you need to provide an alternate email address as well as a phone number. Both fields need to be validated. The phone number is validated by a text code being sent as a text message. The email address is validated when you click on a link which leads to verification of one’s email address.
- Once the additional information regarding account security is furnished, you can then proceed to agree to the terms and conditions. There is a captcha code that needs to be filled in correctly after which the sign in process is deemed complete.
Login process for Hotmail account
When you have created an account in the Hotmail domain successfully, you can then log in regularly and check on your emails and use the other handy inbox features. Secure login in process to Hotmail account are:
- You can save Hotmail.com or outlook.com as the domain addresses to get to your Hotmail account.
- Key in your username which would be the email address in full in the login panel.
- You would be redirected to the next page where you need to fill in the password.
- Once the password is keyed in, your login process is completed. However ensure that you enter your password in the case sensitive manner as it was created.
These steps will help you have a smooth logging in process to your Hotmail account. Other ways to make your logging in an easy and smooth process is to check the box that asks you to save the password. This is recommended to be done on laptops or computers where one has sole access to their email account. There is another convenient feature that Microsoft provides. It is an access code that one can use to override the requirement of keying in the password. This is done by syncing one’s phone with one’s account. Once this is done, an access code is sent as a security code every time you wish to log into your account.
Two step verification process for your Hotmail account
This is another additional security feature that accounts users can activate. The feature helps one to ensure that the login process to their account remains secure. It is especially required when one is not logged into their email account from different devices:
- The two step verification process can be activated through the account settings.
- When one activates the two step verification process they are asked to key in a security code when they are trying to log into their account.
With the additional layer of security added to the logging in process one is assured that the possibilities of others hacking into their accounts are reduced appreciably. The security code is either sent as a text message to one’s phone or to their email address which helps to verify the logging in process.
The above points showcase how a Hotmail account can be created and the different ways one can securely log into their Hotmail account, on the desktop or on mobile devices.