Do you want to login to your Hotmail account after a long time and have forgotten the process? Not to worry, here is a step-by-step guide that will help you to login to your Hotmail account in any situation.
- Step 1
Open the Hotmail login page using the correct URL. The URL for the same is https://account.microsoft.com/account. On this page, click on option “Sign with Microsoft”.
- Step 2
As you will click on the button, a new page will open asking you to enter your email ID. Enter your complete email id and then click on the next button.
- Step 3
Once you will click on the next button a new page will open asking you to enter your password. Enter the password and then click on the next button.
- Step 4
Now you are inside your Hotmail inbox.
This is the simple and easy process to login to your Hotmail account. The Hotmail account login process is that simple and takes only a few seconds. But, sometimes people face issues when they try to log-in to their Hotmail account. The issues could be different, and here we are covering some general issues that can cause failed login attempts and its troubleshooting process.
When you have forgotten your account password
Password is important thing when it comes to login to Hotmail account or any other account. In case, you have forgotten your account password the Hotmail will not allow you to login to your account. However, the option of regenerating the password is there. Here, is the step-by-step guide, how you can re-generate your lost password and get access to your account.
- If you have forgotten your password then click on the forget password button present below the password blank.
- Once you will click on the forget password button, a new page will open that will help you in re-creating the password for your account.
- When you click on the options forget my password, a new window will open with the message ‘recover your account’. And there will be a blank present where you need to enter your email ID of Hotmail account.
- Enter the captcha shown at the below correctly and then tap on the next button.
- A new page will open, which is for the security code. Hotmail sends the security code on your registered email id or phone number, when you lose your password to identify you and help you in recreating your lost password.
- To receive the security code, either enter your registered email id or the phone number and click on the Blue button present below with the text written ‘send code’.
- You will receive a four digit security code on your phone via message or on email. Enter the same security code you receive on your mail or phone number on the device and then click on the next button.
- Now the reset password window will appear. Here, you can create a new password for your account.
- Once you create the new password of your account, and click on the next button you will be taken to the Hotmail sign in page. Enter your email here and the new password and click on the next button.
You have successfully logged in to your account.
In case you are using the wrong extension
Hotmail is the email account of Microsoft, and it is the popular Email application. However, Microsoft has now merged the Hotmail with Outlook and now only one email account exists for Microsoft and that is Outlook. The users who have accounts on Hotmail can still use the Hotmail extension to login; however, the platform for login would be of Outlook only.
In case you are entering the email ID with the extension, Outlook and you have email with extension Hotmail, and then also you won’t be able to login to your account. Therefore, make sure that you have entered the complete email ID with the correct extension.
Wrong characters in password
Hotmail password should be of eight characters with some characters. Sometimes, users create the password using different characters and forget the pattern of the same. In such situation as well users think that they are entering the correct login credential and are unable to login to the account. If this is the case with you, then also you can follow the above mentioned steps to change the password of your account and get access to your inbox.
Some other reasons that would cause fail login attempt are
- The user is trying to open the account when there is no internet connectivity present in the device.
- When the account has been logged in on a different device already. Hotmail allows users to access account on one device at one time.
- In case user have installed the Hotmail on mobile and has changed the password on the desktop. In this situation, when user will try to access the account on mobile without updating the new password. The mobile would not give access of inbox to the user. The user has to update the new password in mobile to login to their account.
- It is important for users to keep their Hotmail account active. If the account remains inactive for more than 8 months, it is automatically blocked by the Microsoft. So, if you are trying to login to your account after a long time and even after entering correct details, if you are not getting access to your account, then the possibility is there that Microsoft has suspended your account.
- To confirm this, you can send mail to your Hotmail ID from your alternate account. If your account is not active anymore, you will receive a message as revert on your mail for the same. To retain your account, you can talk to the support team of Hotmail. However, if the Microsoft would have assigned the account to someone else meanwhile, then you would never be able to access that account.
So, these are some of the common reasons, which may cause fail login attempt. To know more about it or to troubleshoot any of the issue, you can take the help of the Hotmail customer support team. Or you can also take the help of technical experts.