You have the option to update the Google Play Store app and the other individual apps you have on your device either manually or automatically.
Updating Google Play Store and other Apps automatically
It is very important to update the apps as you gain access to all the latest features and additions made to the app. The updated apps will also come with improved security and will work better than the previous version.
- To turn on the automatic updates option on your Android phone, you should open the Google Play Store app on your device. It will be found in the apps folder or on the home screen.
- Just tap on the Google Play Store app icon to open it. You will be taken to the main page of the app.
- Look for the Menu option on the top left corner of the screen which will be denoted by three horizontal lines. Once you find the menu option, tap on it.
- In the scroll down menu list, you need to look for the settings option and tap on it.
- Scroll to see the auto-update apps option and tap on it.
- Here, you will get two options to carry out the auto-updates. One option will be to choose auto-update apps at any time and this option will work when you are connected to the internet either using a Wi-Fi connection or the data connection. If you agree to this, then choose this option.
- If you want to save your mobile data, then you have the option of choosing the auto update apps over Wi-Fi only. If this option is chosen, then the Google Play Store apps will only get updated when you are connected to Wi-Fi connection. This can save your data.
One thing you need to note is that the auto-updating of the Google Play Store apps will not take place if you have signed-in issues on your device.
Update Google Play Store apps manually
If you want to only update a certain set of apps on your mobile device or want to update individual apps that you frequently use or like, then you can do so by making use of the manual update of Google Play Store apps. The procedure to update the apps manually is as follows:
- Locate the Google Play Store app icon on your device’s home screen. It will be a multicolored triangle on a white or black suitcase. Once you find that, tap on it to open the app.
- You will be in the Google Play Store main page. Here, you should press on the Menu option. It will be seen on the top left-hand corner of the main page and is represented by three horizontal lines one over the other.
- Once you tap the menu option, you will see the “My apps & games” option in the scroll down menu options. Tap on this option.
- Here, you will get a list of all the downloaded apps on your device. You will find three options on the top like an update, installed and, library.
- Tap on the update option and the list of the apps that need an update will show on the device screen.
- There will be an update option seen next to the name of the app. You will also see the file size of the update of each of the app.
- You can choose the app that you would like to manually update and tap on the update option next to the app, to start the download and installation of the app’s update.
- This might take a few minutes. Once done, you will see the screen asking you to open the app or uninstall it.
- There is also an update all options you will see on my apps & games section. If you choose to update all the apps on your device, then choose this option. Each of the apps on your phone will get updated.
How to check if the Google Play Store on your device needs update?
The Google Play Store gets regular updates and most times than not its updates takes place in the background. You might not be knowing that the updates have taken place, but, there are times when Google Play Store app updates do not happen due to some technical issues. It is very important to have the latest and updated version of Play Store on the device as regular bug fixes are offered through the updates. The following is the procedure to check if you are running the latest and updated version of Google Play Store on your device.
- Open the Google Play Store app on your device. You will be directed to the main page of the app.
- Tap on the Menu option that you see on the screen. It will be represented as three horizontal lines on the top left corner of the screen in the search box.
- Inside the Menu option, scroll to find the Settings option and tap on it.
- In the settings option, you should scroll down and look for the Build Number or the Play Store version option. Tap on this option.
- If the Google Play Store you are using for your device is outdated, you will instantly get a prompt saying that a new version of Google Play Store will be downloaded and installed on your device.
- If you find this prompt to show up, just tap on the OK option below this prompt and the latest version of Play Store will get downloaded to your device. This would take a few minutes. Once done, your Google Play Store app will be updated to the latest version.
- If the Play Store app on your device is the latest version, you will get a prompt saying that the Google Play Store is up to date. There will be an Ok option just below that message. Tap on it to go back to the previous screen.
Google Play Store troubleshooting
If you are experiencing some functions the Play Store to not function properly, then you need to also check out the Google Services Framework. There might be some cache memory that would be causing the problem for the malfunctioning of Google Play Store and Google Play Service.
- Tap on the Settings option on your device.
- Scroll down to choose the Apps option and tap on it.
- Look for the Google Play Store app and then tap on it.
- You will find an option called Clear Cache in the app. Tap on this app to get rid of the cache.
- Next, look for the Google Play Services app in the apps option and tap on it.
- Here, you need to tap on clear cache option to remove the cache memory.
Once this process is done, your Google Play Store will start to function normally.