Google has several features that it offers to all users of its accounts to ensure that they have a secure experience, especially when they use services like Gmail.
What is two step verification?
This is a feature that was introduced to help Gmail account users add on an extra layer of security in the following way:
- Here one is asked to key in a security code in additional to entering the password to one’s Gmail account.
- It helps to reduce chances of being hacked as simply entering the password will not provide access to Gmail accounts where the two step verification feature is activated.
- When this feature is activated one would be required to add on more information such as an alternate email address and a phone number to help in recovering account details.
How to use it?
If you wish to make your account more secure than simply having a strong password to protect it, the two step verification feature will come in handy. All you need to do is the following:
- Log into your Gmail account.
- On your inbox page you will find the settings section on the top right hand corner.
- Here you need to click and go to two step verification activation link.
- If you have not provided additional information such as an alternate email address or phone number, you would be asked to enter the same.
- You would be asked which method you wish to use for getting the security code; you could opt to get the security code as a text message or a link in your alternate email address.
When you have activated the two step verification method, you would be asked to key in a security code additional to entering the account password. You could opt to get the security code as a text message in your email account or choose to get it as an email in your alternate email address.
Account recovery made secure
There are other benefits of activating the two step verification feature in your Gmail account such as:
- You would be asked to key in additional information such as a registered phone number and email address.
- These data are validated by sending a security code on your phone number or a code in your email address. By keying in these details you would have validated your alternate email address and phone number.
- Once these aspects are covered you are also asked to choose two personal questions and provide answers to them. By choosing two security questions and providing answers that are easy for you to remember, you would have saved multiple options to make your account secure.
Account recovery methods
The two step verification features not only makes your account login secure, but also helps to make account recovery easy such as:
- In case Google suspects unnatural login attempts, you would be notified by email at your alternate email address.
- If you have forgotten your email password, the account recovery method is easier when you have filled in the additional information from before.
- You could opt to get your account recovered by receiving a reset link at the alternate email address; alternatively you could key in the code that you receive as a text message in your registered phone number. You could also opt to answer the security questions that you had chosen and saved from before.
Security measures to adopt
The two step verification feature is one of the solutions to safeguard access to your account. Other measures that are advised are the following:
- It is recommended that one opts for a strong password for their account and this should be updated from time to time. At the time of choosing an account password, one should make it at least eight characters long, include alphanumeric characters, special characters and case sensitive characters as well.
- One should keep their account recovery details updated. If there has been a change in alternate email address or phone number, such details need to be updated on the account information page.
- One needs to check their account activity section. This is found at the end section of the inbox page. Here the different login activities are showcased.
- It is recommended that one logs out of their account when they are accessing their email account from a public or shared computer.
- Activating the two step verification process will make it a lengthy process to login to one’s email account every time, but it would save one from the possibilities of getting their account hacked easily.
The above points showcase how it is beneficial to have the two step verification feature activated on their account. The necessity of updating account security details and certain preventative measures are also highlighted in the above page or sections for one’s information.